Saturday, February 24, 2007
Blogger power:Safeguard the web for children
February 24th 2007
I have been tagged by my friend eastcoastlife and here it is, to show my support and my humble opinion.
The project Blogger Power is a campaign to safegard the internet for children against pornography.
A Request To All Webmasters Of Adult Sites:
"Please require a password-protected login before allowing even free access to explicit adult content. We understand that selling porn is your business and we respect your right to make a legal living. But understand our legitimate concerns and work with us. You already have the “warning adult content” on your websites. Yet kids, who are not legal customers of your product, ignore the warning. So to prevent them from having direct access to explicit images, texts and sounds, the simplest way is to have a password-protected login. No more “free tours” before a visitor supplies basic information."
In my opinion:
1)Children should be made aware that they are still too young to be viewing such sites and what impact it could have on them or what it may lead them to. Let them know that such sites are for adults only. At their age, sex should be educational and not for entertaintment or leisure.
2) Kids these days are very smart, a lot of them are much better than us adults, with regard to computers. They will find a way, to hack codes and passwords.
For home computers, we can install parental controls and block certain websites while browsing. Or place the computers in the general area of the house.
3) Parents should supervise their childrens online activities. But it is a little sensitive, as to to how much control that you want impose. They can still be online and do whatever they want behind closed doors or when the parents are not home, or they would view them at their friends place.
4) It is important that your kids circle of friends are not into porn, because children and teenagers specially, will want to feel belong to a group and not feel left out.Parents should be role models to their children, whereas friends often influenced one another.
5) Distract the children from such sites, and encourage them to surf or browse on safer websites. Buy them PS Playstations !
6) It is not easy being parents...! Lets hope and pray that our children will be disciplined enough to respect the parents and teachers and instilled it in themselves to be a good kid. Cross the bridge when you come to it. There will be time for everything in life.